The following are the rules of Shito-Ryu
Itosu-Kai Karate, and all participants must be familiar with and obey these
rules for the safety of everyone and respect to the organization.
- Students must face in and bow upon entering and leaving the dojo (workout
room or gym) every time.
- Students must adopt a serious attitude at all times during class.
- When spoken to by a black-belt or senior students, students must reply with
“oohsh”. This means: yes, okay, I understand, etc.
- Black-belts must be addressed as SENSEI (black-belt instructor), while an assistant instructor/senior student is SEMPAI.
- Students must ask permission of the Sensei before leaving the dojo for whatever
- Sensei’s word is the law in the dojo and must be obeyed.
- Do not criticize other karateka (karate students)
- Profanity and loud talking is not permitted any time during practice
- Chewing of gum, eating candy or any other food is not allowed. Jewelry
of any kind including watches and earrings are strictly prohibited. This is
for the safety of everyone.
- Students should practice good hygiene, i.e. clean GI (uniform), and clean, short
finger and toe nails. Remember that this is a contact sport.
- Students will neither provoke violence, nor allow themselves to be provoked,
on pain of immediate expulsion from Shito-Ryu Itosu-Kai Karate.
- Students shall endeavour to arrive on time. If circumstances lead to a late arrival,
the student shall await conclusion of the ceremonial start of the class before entering the dojo.